½ tsp Garam Masala powder
2 C Water
Salt to taste
1. Marinate the fish pieces with salt and turmeric. Put it in the refrigerator till ready to fry.
2. Heat a pan over medium heat. Pour some oil to coat the surface of the pan. Once the pan gets hot, add in a few fish pieces at a time. Saute for about 1-2 minutes. Then, take them out and keep aside.
3. Repeat the same for the potato cubes. Keep aside.
4. In the same pan, take out the excess oil. Now, once the left over oil is hot, add in the pancha phutana and let it crackle.
5. Then, pour in the onion, ginger, garlic and tomato paste. Let it cook till the mixture starts boiling (about 3-4 mins).
6. Now add in the chili powder, turmeric powder and dhania powder, salt to taste and sugar. Cook till the mixture starts bubbling and leaves oil.
7. Add in water and let the gravy come to a boil. Then simmer the gravy till the oil floats on top.
8. Carefully slide the potato pieces and let it simmer for 3-4 mins and then add in the fish pieces. Cook for 2-3 mins more.
9. Switch off the heat and sprinkle cinnamon powder on the top and taste for salt.
10. Serve piping hot with plain rice with a serving of cilantro on top.
A few things to keep in mind when making this.
- Not everyone can take in the piquancy of the mustard oil with as much gusto as we Odias' do. So feel free to substitute with any other oil you prefer.
- We generally use fresh water fish for this curry. I found the German/Silver Carp to be the closest in taste so I used them. Use any other fish that you might prefer.
- The pancha phutana is readily available in all stores here in the US and if not you can a equal part mix of asfoetida and nigella (black caraway seeds) alonng with 2 parts each of Cumin, mustard and fennel seeds.You can substitute this tempering with your regular monotone tempering and see the difference.
Try this out and there's no doubt that you will see the subtle undertones of the panch phutana that makes all the difference in this recipe.
Until next time!
P.S: Submitting this recipe to:
- WTML - May hosted by Gayatri.